What will I learn?
The Advanced Filmmaking program is an Ontario College Graduate Certificate program which builds upon the students i previous diploma/degree skills by providing opportunities to work in cross-functional teams to create both narrative and documentary films, television productions, and other media. All phases of digital filmmaking will be experienced, including pre-production, production, and post-production. Students will collaborate with students in other college programs (television, acting, fashion, multimedia, music industry arts) in the creation of digital media products.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
1. Create narrative and documentary films, television productions, and other media (such as webcasts) that illustrate the application of aesthetic and theoretical principles of filmmaking;
2. Identify and develop stories and scripts for narrative and documentary films and other media, for both general and specific audiences;
3. Plan and apply appropriate pre-production techniques to prepare for the efficient and cost-effective production of narrative and documentary films and other media;
4. Produce and direct narrative and documentary films and other media to commercial, technical, legal and ethical standards by working independently or in a crew;
5. Operate digital cameras, audio, editing and lighting equipment during the creation of documentary and narrative films and other media.
6. Produce market-ready narrative and documentary films and other media by collaborating with post-production experts;
7. Plan media-marketing/distribution strategies for a variety of venues and formats;
8. Lead co-workers and others in all phases of film development, through the application of superior communication, interpersonal, organizational, and problem solving skills.
Graduates will be prepared to enter this field as independent filmmakers, or to work with film or television production companies in a variety of capacities ranging from writer/media content creator through director or producer, or in ancillary functions such as project management, marketing, or distribution.
Which department am I in? School of Contemporary Media
Other English Language Requirements: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 570 for the paper-based test (PBT) and 230 for the computer-based test (CBT); Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years and An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years.
A College Diploma or College Advanced Diploma in: Broadcasting - Television OR Multi Media Design and Production OR Interactive Media Design and Production OR Interactive Media Design OR Fine Art OR Photography OR Theatre Arts - Performance OR Visual Effects and Editing for Contemporary Media OR General Arts and Science (Film Studies Major) College Diploma OR A Degree in Film Studies, Communication Arts, Fine Arts, Media or Design OR An equivalent qualification from another institution as judged by the College OR A combination of relevant education and work experience in a related field as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Offered by other partners
This university accepts pathways courses from Fleming College
CAN $9,180 per level
Fanshawe College London campus, 1001 Fanshawe College Boulevard, LONDON, Ontario (ON), N5Y 5R6, Canada